Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Where'd your lines go, Nanny?


So I was "Cuddling" with my 4 yr. old grandson on the couch and we were having a nice talk. And he got a wondering look on his face and asked, "Where'd your lines go, Nanny?" "What lines?" I ask. "The ones on your face," says he, as he lightly rubs my cheek. Then it hits me, the wrinkles. The wrinkles that had made me feel so old in the last few years' pictures, the ones you can see in the picture above if you enlarge it.
Go ahead, I'm not ashamed! In fact, when Bowden looked for them, as if missing an old friend, I was suddenly, well- happy about them. Almost proud.
Of course his comment made me smile, and he was contented to see those lines back on my face like he remembered.
It's stuck with me all day. Later, I explained to Bowden that those lines are lines I got specially for him, and Lucy and all my grandkids, to show them how much I love them!
At first it felt a bit like a fib. But later, as I contemplated just why the whole thing tickled me so much, my mom's advice when I was just a girl came to me. She had told me to be careful to smile more than frown, because whatever kind of expression I wore now would be what my wrinkles would look like when I was old.
My wrinkles had made me feel older up until now. But now, when I realize that they are a point of affection to my little grandson, and I see that they are mostly the smiling lines that my precious little ones constantly elicit in me, I am suddenly very happy to have those wrinkles. And I realize that it's the farthest thing from a fib- they are a gift, reminding me of how much joy my children and grandchildren have brought into my life! Thanks kids- and thank You, God, for my lines of joy!!

No comments: