Monday, July 14, 2014

Cabbage Rolls Redeemed!!

Last week I took my sorry excuse for cabbage rolls up to my Dad's.  One look at me and he says, "What's the matter?" So I confessed my failure, plopped sorry excuse on the table and slunk to my seat.
What transpired next was one of those transformations in nature- totally predictable to any who know nature, but still always causing me to stop in awe- like the butterfly emerging from the cocoon.
My dad was sympathetic, encouraging  and kind!  I know - he's no monster- but this is a transformation for me who he likes to "help" with his criticisms and - well- stuff.
Anyway, he said the meat was good flavor, even if cabbage not cooked. And then he told how his Italian family would cook it-( only without the rice.)   Lay it in a baking dish, cover it with Mozzarella, and bake.  I'm guessing even the spaghetti sauce brought a flavor of home to him.
Anyway, I did it, using the mixed cheeses I already had, with the leftovers- and added some Parmesan. It turned out delicious- a big hit with all!!!
God can redeem anything, folks- even our worst failures!

No comments: