Friday, May 31, 2013

Cave Dwellers

I had  a friend tell me something that has gotten stuck in my head a couple of months ago. He said there was a Word that  the speaker said about somebody who'd been hiding in a cave, and how God was calling them out.  He felt like it applied to him. After a month of wondering, of wondering what was my friend was  hiding from, what pains might have made him go there, and how does one come out again- it came back to me.  Always seems to, don't ya know!
( MY very bad Danish accent- don't ya know?)
 Some people's caves are obvious. Drugs, alcohol, massive overeating, TV, Internet addiction. Their caves can be their living rooms.  The walls of some of us others might be made of activities. Some very good activities- Church services, classes, hobbies, etc.
 I know a guy at the gym who spends  a couple hours a night at one gym, then takes off to another gym with other classes.  A short guy- he's admittedly built like a mini-Mac truck. But I digress.( love that word!)

Even though most people who know me will attest to the fact that I am an extremely busy and highly social person, there are parts of me that I think have hidden out in a cave.
I have so much I want to do, so much of life I desire to experience, but don't do them. The dreams, the big visions that God puts on our hearts- the higher callings that we all feel- like the far off call of the wolf at the moon. Or the wondering- what really is my purpose- my big calling in life?
For me- right now- to teach primary school.   To  start a small woman's group at Church.
All good- all where God has me now.   But I feel there's more......

 The log in my eye demands attention.What are the walls of my cave made of? Old school  friends, new school friends, family, book club, exercise, plays, school committees, other family, Church, Internet. I think mine is a mod-podge of many activities.  And why am I there? Fear? Fear of success, fear of failure, or just plain distractability. Distracted by the immediate, not leaving time to plan for the future.

I think now of Lazarus. Jesus called him out.  But then he turned to the ones around him and said, "Now you unwrap him."  I think we are all responsible to go before God and answer His call to come out of our caves. But I think it takes relationship- relationships where we get real with others and pray for each other- to really walk it out.
Just thinking.....

No comments: