Saturday, May 25, 2013

Dallas Willard




Went to the most amazing memorial service today. A service that made us cry, but also motivated us to want to live a life that would shine with the light and love of God- just as Dallas Willard had.  A professor at USC, international speaker, Christian philosopher,intellect and  author;  we could never quite figure out why he chose our little ex-hippie, family and blue collar worker church to go to. But we were glad.  Always friendly, gracious and down-to-earth, yet answering questions given him with such wisdom and depth that it would take months or even years to figure out what that meant.  And then it would change our lives.
Here is an example:
“A carefully cultivated heart will, assisted by the grace of God, foresee, forestall, or transform most of the painful situations before which others stand like helpless children saying “Why?” 
― Dallas WillardRenovation of the Heart: Putting On the Character of Christ


He helped me get ahold of that after my husband died. He patiently answered questions until I got it. I love this man!
 I keep talking in the "we" vernacular. That is because so many of our church family was there- (It was held at Church on the Way in Sherman Way- and is podcast somewhere on this worldwide web.) And in this loss- we were truly a family. He had that effect. But most of all- he showed us what Jesus really looked like. Loving enemies- respecting, laughing and inspiriting us to disciplines that would change us on the inside. I fall so short- but His grace goads me on. And Dallas modeled that grace.
As was his style- Dallas gave. He gently,patiently, and with much love and humor gave his wisdom and blessings.

 I will end with the blessing- the prayer that he gave for us-it was written on a bookmark inserted into each of the bulletins:
" My Prayer for You
That you would have a rich life of joy and power, abundant in supernatural results, with a constant, clear vision of never-ending life in God's World before you, and of the everlasting significance of your work day by day.
A radiant life and death. "
Dallas Willard

If you ever want to read a great, potentially-life changing, powerful book- read Renovation of the Heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Annie. I have not seen Dallas for a very long time, but he touched my heart also. I did not know of his passing. I am thankful for this day and for you Annie. Much love, Tah