Monday, March 18, 2013

Some Trust in Guns, some trust in Gun Control..


This morning on way to school, I see with  a mixture of sorrow and relief that there is yet another police car circling our campus.

It seems that the issue that I never blogged about in January is back in my face. As issues arise, abuse and crisis training increase, I feel obliged to look at it again.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre sent a volley of dialogue about gun control throughout the nation, in our backyards and even into the Churches.  To pack or not to pack - is that really the question?  I don't mean to minimize in throwing in  a little humor, just to lighten up a subject that is way too heavy, and close to home for me.

Some trust in guns and some trust in gun control- I don't have  enough wind in my sail to even get into that conversation.  What I do know is that my trust can't be in anything that unsure.

Since I don't have a gun, it's pointless to consider that option. So what options are there for me as a teacher in my kindergarten classroom.  I can carry a cell phone. I can put myself between a potential threat and the sweet little ones that have been entrusted into my care. I can hope that help will arrive, that the arrow will miss it's mark.

But all of that is unsure.  My trust has to be in the Lord.

I can pray.
 I can pray for God to send His angels every day. I can pray for the boldness, wisdom, and love of Christ that was shown in the High School teacher that talked the young man into giving him his gun.

And then, having done that, I  can trust. I can trust that the God that hears my prayers will answer with what I need when I need it.  I can trust that I am a public school teacher for such a time as this on purpose.  And I can trust that if it's my time to die, I can go knowing I did the right thing.  And that if it's not, nothing can take me.

I  can choose to not live in fear!

"What can we say to these things?  If God is for us, who can be against us?  He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"
"Who can separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall, tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
" For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separated us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:31, 35,38-39

 Nothing can separate us from the Love of Jesus. 

No comments: