Friday, February 27, 2009

In Memory of Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike was 93. He was a sweet man with a ready laugh. He passed on last Monday.
As the family grows older, I come to cherish them more. Our cousin, Larry, did the Rosary service. He shared such great thoughts, and exhorted us all to listen like Uncle Mike did. To truly ask how people are doing when we see them, sort of in memory of Uncle Mike.
I thought of how David had told me stories of Uncle Mike and Aunt Kaye one night some years back after some get together. I'd never heard those stories. So I asked him how he knew that stuff. "I asked them." was his reply.
And tonight, as I reflected on it, I wished I'd asked them more myself.
Uncle Mike and Aunt Kay had always asked about Dave. They so appreciated him. It's amazing what an interested ear can do. And a caring, sensitive heart.
I try to stick to my theme on this blog, but tonight I'm a bit melancholy. All month I've thought of the old song, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got til it's gone. Paved paradize, put up a parking lot."

No comments: