Friday, July 03, 2009

Alaskan Animals

Having just gotten back from Alaska, and wanting to share some of my 300-something pictures, I was overwhelmed as to where to start. So I decided on the animals.
Every land excursion offered included a lure of seeing one or more of these animals.
I was able to see many of them, some on the ship.
I will start with the American Bald eagle. Part of this set is dedicated to my grandson Jack, who likes his animals in familial sets.
So, I have Mommy eagle, and baby eagle. It is in it's eagle nest,peering over.
The flying one is harder to distinguish, but I'm pretty sure that it's Daddy eagle.



Guess which bear is real?
Really, real bears wandering along the coastline while searching for fish are hard to see. Especially from 3-9 stories up in an Ocean Liner. It's like the sighting of the Pope in St. Peter's square. He is actually about 1/4" from the distance we're at. But believe me, that brown spot moved!!! I think I have a better picture, when I blew it up, you could actually see the whole outline of A BEAR!!!



The whale sightings can't be done a service here, because of the fact that they are so far away and it just seems like puffs of steam. But the sound and the size, when on the water, are inspiring, to say the least. We saw a few "breaching." This is when they leap out of the water, displaying their vast selves and then land with a loud crash. It is truly awe inspiring, but happens pretty fast, and so is hard to catch on film.


And last,but not least- the Towel Creatures!


4 comments:

marlrini@gmail.com said...

I thought I saw an otter in most of those pictures!

sarah said...

Those towel animals are especially impressive!!!

Annie said...

Very funny, Marlene!
Actually, I did see an otter there, but didn't catch it on film.
So, of course, you wouldn't believe it, Doubting Thomas!

Annie said...

Very funny, Marlene!
Actually, I did see an otter there, but didn't catch it on film.
So, of course, you wouldn't believe it, Doubting Thomas!