Thursday, September 03, 2009

In My Backyard

I have a garden in my backyard. I sit on the porch and listen to the chorus of birds, the occasional rooster crowing and far off dog. And I meet with God. I love to sit there.
But my meditations were interrupted by any interesing scene the other day.
And I decided I have a new pet. I've named him Napoleon.
Napoleon is one of many sparrows that come and eat at my bird feeder. I'm happy to say, after many weeks of being absent, they still come, shortly after I refill the feeder.
And then the adorable little leader, Napoleon, lands and proceeds to spin and peck and chirp in the loudest possible chirp for it's tiny size at any other sparrow that tries to land on that feeder.
Eventually, I think he gets hungry enough to ignore a few that sidle their way discreetly down the chain and allows them to eat while he's eating. You really can't eat and guard at the same time, and I'm sure he must tire of his selfish game at times.
But even then, he'll make a surprse attack on any other tiny creature brazen enough to try to make a frontal attack on "his" food. How adorable! (Yes, my tongue is in my cheek)

In the one picture I am holding a feather. While sitting, reading and feeling God's Peace, I saw a feather float from the tree straight to me, sitting in my chair. I just reached out, opened my hand, and it settled. I don't have a great analogy for what it means, but it was really cool.
I really love my backyard!




No comments: