Sunday, December 16, 2007

Santa, friend or foe?


"Come on, let's go see Santa!" Bowden and Lucy thought it was a great idea, until they saw the huge ball-of-red old man.
"But he's really nice, he's good," I yelled vainly as Bowden raced away, back down the candy cane path as fast as his little legs could take him. Lucy, surveying the scene, decided that Bowden was right, she would have nothing to do with that fat, red stranger, either.
"Let's put baby Jack on his lap, look, guys, Baby Jack is sitting with Santa. Come see him!" I shouted again, while Sarah went to retrieve her scattered flock.
Meantime, Santa spoke gently, and I said "Hi Jackie!" and Jackie flashed a contented grin. I'm not even sure if Jack even looked at the sweet bearded man holding him. I think he felt cozy in the giant red blanket, and firm, but gently white glove that held him.
But I keep looking at that picture. The sweet old man, perfect for the part,if they were looking for Santa in his very old latter years. His eyes really do have a twinkle when he smiles, his beard is real, but long and with thinning straight wisps at the end, like a worn out feather. His cheeks were the perfect roundness for Santa, with just the right amount of pink to be highlighted by his massive red suit.(this was a FAT Santa) And,like icing on the cake, his smile really did turn up like a bow! Mostly, though , this old man emanated a gentleness befitting of a loving Santa. Jackie sensed it,and was completely at ease.
I have a picture, but it won't scan.
Suffice it to say,that the more I looked at these 2 faces, the very young innocence of the 5 month old baby, and the smile-crinkled, gentle face of an old man
the more I was struck with the wonder of God's gift of Christmas, to those with the innocence to receive it.
How often we are afraid of the unknown. How often God sends us gifts wrapped in strange and "unconventional" packages and we go running. Bowden, of course, had an explanation for why he had to run later. We do too, don't we. Lucy, I suspect, followed his lead. We do that, too.
When the supernatural breaks into the natural, the first reaction is often fear.
" And behold, an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were greatly afraid."
But God understands, and calls us to gather courage and keep looking and listening,
"then the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all the people.
For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Luke 2: 10-11
Don't be afraid of His messages,and don't be dissuaded by the odd package that might deliver them; for in them is your joy, in them is your salvation.
Think about it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

2 comments:

Paul Menard said...

Just understanding how much Jesus loves me is all I need for Christmas. It is there I find such incredible peace and comfort. I like presents too and often find the most amazing gifts are the subtle smiles and warm embraces from those who love you when you find something that they really like!!

Annie said...

Paul, you are the best cousin! I love that!